Monday, December 29, 2014

Week 27 What I Know

Hey guys thanks for all the emails this week. 

Talking on Christmas day was just awesome. Emailing is good and all, but seeing some familiar non- El Salvadorian faces was really nice. haha

So mom asked me to say my testimony while we were calling... Not wanting to talk in Spanish and not sure if I knew how in English I said no... but then I felt bad and so I thought I would share with you a little of my testimony today.

Before my mission I took for granted the testimonies missionaries had... Without ever giving it much thought, I observed that people generally left on their missions good, spiritual kids and came back spiritual giants. What I never really considered is just how much work it takes to grow that much spiritually. 

When I started my mission it was hard for me to bear testimony... (Ironically it was one of the few things I could do in Spanish) I've always believed the church was true, had faith that everything I was taught was true, but the idea of telling every single person I met that I KNOW this is true was hard for me. 

It took many nights on my knees, and one or two tears, but today I can honestly say that I know the gospel of Jesus Christ is true. I know that God helps us, his children, when we are in need... Not necessarily when or how we want, but he always helps us. I know that Christ established the church, but the authority to govern that church and preform the ordinances therein were lost. I know that God restored that church with its accompanying authority through a 14 year old boy. A boy that like all of us made mistakes, but was humble enough to keep repenting and keep trying to bring forth this great truth regardless of persecution. I know that that boy, Joseph Smith, was a prophet of God. I know today Thomas S Monson is a prophet, seer and revelator. Most of all I know that Christ lives. He is my savior, my redeemer, and my brother. I know that through him I can return to live with my father in heaven again. He understands me completely, he knows my trials and afflictions because He suffered through them. I know that He is always here to help me if I but ask with faith and am willing to act based on the answers I recieve. 

I'm not done learning, my testimony is not complete, but it is something I love and am proud of. It wasn't easy for me to obtain, but I am working to strengthen it every day. 

I love how Elder Uchtdorf put it the last General conference, "Let us acknowledge that gaining a testimony is not a task of a minute, and hour, or a day. It is not once and done. The process of gaining spiritual light is the quest of a lifetime. Your testimony of the living God and his restored church, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, may not come as quickly as you desire, but I promise you this: If you do your part it will come. And it will be glorious."

Thanks  for all of your love and support. I hope you all have a great new years!! Love Elder Davis


BTW that pic of me by a fire was me burning a tie at my 6 month mark... crazy how fast time flies!





No comments:

Post a Comment